Thursday, December 21, 2006

SL Tech Roadmap

Clickable Culture went through and dug out some important facts from Cory Linden's tech roadmap presentation. You can view the Clickable Culture blog post [HERE].

Here are two of the biggies-

- In 2007 we can expect to see Firefox integrated....FINALLY, and in Q1 allegedly.
- SL plans to go open source next year. To me this leads to a lot of questions...But I'm excited about the possibilities.

If we can implement our own version of Second life on our own servers...wow.

2 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Tateru Nino said...

As near as I can tell, when they talk about open-sourcing, it's the client only for the forseeable future. There's proprietary code in them thar sims for starters.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Cliffordb Hightower said...

Grrr...yeah I was wondering how buying and selling would work if the server code was open source. Oh well, I'm waiting to see how well this year will go with Linden Labs. They still might pull off a metaverse yet...but I'm skeptical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home